I read 33 books or novellas in 2016; that doesn’t count the books I picked up and put back down or returned to the library unread or unfinished, since I may circle back to some of those at some point. The two best fiction reads were Lois McMaster Bujold’s Penric novellas. Best nonfiction was Rebecca Traister’s All the Single Ladies. Biggest disappointment was Bujold’s Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen.
Also, I read an excellent original hockey fic on AO3. I really like the writer’s voice and style…but the typos and punctuation abuse make my brain hurt.
I started Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine on 12/31 but have not finished it yet; I think it’ll be one of my favorite reads when it comes time to tally up 2017.
- Fox’s Pitch series (please be renewed?)
- The Crown
- Star Wars (mostly liked it, love General Organa)
- Jason Bourne (meh)
- Ghostbusters (loved it)
- Star Trek (meh)
- Love & Friendship (loved it)
Theater, Museums, Music:
- Jan 9 – The Critic and the Real Inspector
- March 5 – Othello
- March 26 – 1984
- May 21 – The Taming of the Shrew
- Oct 29 – Romeo and Juliet
- Dec 3 – The Secret Garden
- The Menil
- The National Aviary
- Fort Pitt Museum
- The Andy Warhol Museum
- The Frick – the carriages and cars in the garage are amazing, as is the house
- The Heinz History Center, multiple visits – Toys Exhibit, Pixburgh exhibit, Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood, glass industry. The exhibit on slavery is excellent and awful. As a white person, it was ugly and shame-inducing to walk through. I cannot imagine how painful it would be for a POC, or even tell whether it would be cathartic or just rage-inducing.
- ROM (loved the Chihuly exhibit)
- Casa Loma
- Bata Shoe Museum
- Textile Museum
- Gardiner Museum of Ceramics (loved)
- Smithsonian National Gallery of Art
- Garth Brooks & Tricia Yearwood concert (wow, not much music this year)
Okay, this category, now that I look at it, is a little excessive. Sorry, not sorry. Also, I’m sure I went to at least one more baseball game, but I can’t find the ticket stub or a note on my planner, so.
- Feb 22 – Coyotes @ Caps
- Feb 27 – Jets @ Penguins
- March 11-14 – Indian Wells for the BNP Paribas tournament, love this venue.
- March 18 – Predators @ Caps
- March 28 – Blue Jackets @ Caps
- April 7 – Penguins @ Caps (makeup game for blizzard), WIN!
- April 16 – Game 2 of the 1st round of the playoffs – NYR @ Penguins, loss
- April 23 – Game 5 of the 1st round – NYR @Penguins, won the series
- April 28 – Game 1 of the 2nd round – Penguins @ Caps, lost in OT.
- May 4 – Game 4 of the 2nd round – Caps @ Penguins (OT win!)
- May 13 – Game 1 of the ECF – TBL @ Penguins – ouch, lost, Letang got boarded (and knocked out) right in front of me. It was ugly.
- June 1 – Game 2 of the SCF – Sharks & Penguins, OT win. The Goal (actually all the goals) was right in front of me!
- June 5 – NYY @ Orioles
- Sept 14 – pre-tournament SWE-EUR
- Sept 17-29 – World Cup of Hockey tournament; 16 games. So. Much. Hockey.
- October 15 – Ducks @ Penguins (win!)
- Nov 8 – Sharks @ Caps (Sharks win!)
- Nov 16 – Penguins @ Caps (ugly, ugly loss)
- Nov 19 – Penguins @ Buffalo (SO loss, man, Flower was so good in the 3rd and OT).
- Nov 20 – NWHL Pride @ Beauts (posted thoughts/opinions about this over on tumblr)
- Dec 30 – Three Rivers Classic (consolation game and championship game)
- Dec 31 – Canadiens at Penguins (OT win!)
Goals/plans for 2017:
- Drop the Caps tickets, use the money to visit other teams’ arenas
- Go to at least two more NWHL games this season
- Go to either Italy, Portugal, or Spain on vacation (in February, maybe?)
- Read 40 books
- Make myself post more regularly
- Find a tutor or conversational group to refresh/relearn the Russian I’ve mostly forgotten