Inspired by Sunita’s post.
These are mostly life goals, because I’m resigned enough to the continued slump in reading that I can’t really make any really specific reading goals.
- Read more. Write about what I read (or watch or listen to).
- Career development. I’m pretty good at my job, but there’s not a significant amount of growth or development potential there by its nature. I mean, it gives me a really broad base of generalized knowledge, and I’ve managed to acquire expertise in a couple of specific areas but they aren’t necessarily what I feel most engaged by. Also, to be perfectly honest, large chunks of what I see on a daily basis are pretty demoralizing, in terms of man’s inhumanity to man and how greed turns off people’s common sense. Beyond that, I think I might want to transfer to one of our regional offices. The problem will be figuring out how to do so without burning bridges, because my director has undermined everyone in my group who has attempted to transfer or get a detail or secondment; he’d rather have staff who are miserable than be down staff numbers since we’ve been told that for every 6 people who leave only 1 will be replaced. [He’s an HR lawsuit waiting to happen. I’m pretty sure a couple of complaints have been made already. I especially love how he tells women that we are “too emotional” whenever we call him on his unequal treatment. And then there’s blatant favoritism of his workout buddy, who gets special treatment while being barely competent and less productive than everyone else in the group.]
- Finances. I’m saving but could save more. And I feel like I’m not making my savings work enough, so…financial adviser time.
- Learn to knit a sweater, so I can use the gorgeous Blue Heron silk-merino blend yarn I was given for Christmas. I’ve never made a sweater. No pressure there; the giver is just very much looking forward to seeing me in a sweater made with their yarn.
- Eat better. I’ve been not great nutrition-wise lately. Part of it has been the holidays, with all kinds of sweets around, but part of it has also been overindulgence on my part with respect to lattes and pastry at Cafe Poupon.
- Figure out what to do with my spare room. I’ve decided kind of generally that I want to install a murphy bed system, but it needs storage/shelving, too. I’ve looked at units that I could assemble (in theory…bad theory) but think I’m going to have to find a local cabinet-maker or furniture place that does them.
- Continue winnowing the clutter. A lot of things that fall into the clutter categories are books and knick-knacks and the like. I used to think that since books never go bad, why not hoard them? But I feel like that’s not the healthiest attitude. Also, it’s stuff to dust and store.
- Watch less hockey. (This is entirely The Biochemist’s fault. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.)