Jane has posted a link to a spoiler to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. A hacker claims to have gotten access to the publisher’s network and posted spoilers. I’m not including a link, because that would be too much temptation for me. My mouse hovered over the link over at DA before moving away.
My speculation about the book is that Harry will die. (How else can Rowling prevent the sequel-clamor?) Of Harry’s companions, I think Hermione is most likely to die — because I read somewhere that JKR was asked once about Hermione and said that no one ever asks, which suprised her, and that Hermione was more vulnerable than most readers realized, despite her intelligence and magic skills. I also think Hagrid’s gonna die, along with Lupin and a couple of the Weasleys…though likely not Ron, unless JKR does some sort of apocalyptic ending in which Harry, Ron and Hermione all die in the final big battle.
I’m not reading much romance lately. I’ve been trying to get through the stack of magazines that was accumulating in my living room, plus I got sidetracked reading HP fanfic. My favorites so far are:
1. obsessed1‘s HP fanfic (Past Curfew and Just Another Bloody Stupid Romance), two non-canon slash pieces, the first of which superimposes Queer as Folk on the Wizarding World. Hawt. Like QaF, there’s a slight tendency to spend a bit too much time on the sex and not enough time on plot, but I love how she took minor and major characters and worked with them.
2. rozarka‘s Viktor/Hermione stuff, G, PG and R.
3. antoshevu‘s variety of Harry/Ginny, Harry/Luna/Ginny, and Luna/Ginny stuff, especially Four Weddings and a Funeral.
4. fics_by_maple‘s George/Lee series of shorts (WIP).
5. inell‘s Hermione-centered fics, particularly her Cedric story in 10 parts.
And an excellent Luna/George story that I can’t find again, dammit. And a Snape/Lupin series, too.
Of course, I’ve also read some horrendous stuff…which I will not be singling out, other than to say that spell check is a pretty universal function and I wish more people would use it.